1 under the level of the ground; "belowground storage areas"; "underground caverns" [syn: belowground]
2 conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods; "clandestine intelligence operations"; "cloak-and-dagger activities behind enemy lines"; "hole-and-corner intrigue"; "secret missions"; "a secret agent"; "secret sales of arms"; "surreptitious mobilization of troops"; "an undercover investigation"; "underground resistance" [syn: clandestine, cloak-and-dagger, hole-and-corner(a), hugger-mugger, hush-hush, on the quiet(p), secret, surreptitious, undercover]
3 used of independent armed resistance forces; "guerrilla warfare"; "partisan forces" [syn: guerrilla(a), guerilla(a), irregular]
1 a secret group organized to overthrow a government or occupation force [syn: resistance]
1 in or into hiding or secret operation; "the organization was driven underground"
2 beneath the surface of the earth; "water flowing underground"
- Below the ground; below the surface of the Earth.
- There is an underground tunnel that takes you across the river.
- Hidden, furtive, secretive.
- These criminals operate through an underground network.
- Of music, art, etc, outside the mainstream.
below the ground
outside the mainstream
- Below the ground.
- The tunnel goes underground at this point.
below the ground
- An underground railway.
- (with the) A movement or organisation of people who resist political convention.
- (with the) A movement or organisation of people who resist artistic convention.
underground railway See underground railway
movement or organisation of people who resist political convention
movement or organisation of people who resist artistic convention
- underground (outside the mainstream)
- the underground (people who resist artistic convention)
- the underground (people who resist artistic convention)
Underground may refer to:
- Underground rapid
transit system, urban railway
- London Underground, a metro system that covers the Greater London area
- Resistance movement, an opposition to an invader, a political position, or to a government
Railroad, a network of secret routes and safe houses used by
19th century black slaves in the U.S. to escape to free states
- To go underground is to go hiding from the authorities, or from society
- Underground (Thelonious Monk album), a 1967 jazz recording by Thelonious Monk
- Underground (Keaggy album), a 1983 album by guitarist Phil Keaggy
- Underground (Analog Pussy album), a 2001 album by Analog Pussy
- Underground (Electric Prunes album), a 1967 album by The Electric Prunes
- Underground (soundtrack), soundtrack to the Emir Kusturica film by Goran Bregović
- Underground (song), a 1986 single by David Bowie featured in the film Labyrinth
- Underground (Gob song)
- Underground (Ben Folds Five song), a 1995 song by Ben Folds Five
- The Underground (concert venue), a Christian-affiliated concert venue, operated in the Greater Cincinnati area
- The Union Underground, an inactive Rock band associated with WWE
- Underground Operations, a Toronto-based independent punk rock record label
- Underground Resistance, a musical collective from Detroit, Michigan
- Linkin Park Underground, the official fan club of the band Linkin Park
In other media:
- Underground (stories), a collection of biographical short stories by Haruki Murakami
- Underground (role playing game), a satirical role playing game released by Mayfair Games in 1993
- Underground (book), a 1997 book by Suelette Dreyfus reconstructing the actions of a group of hackers
- Underground (novel), a 2006 Australian novel by Andrew McGahan
- Medal of Honor: Underground, the second in the Medal of Honor series by EA Games
- Need for Speed: Underground, a video game published by Electronic Arts
- Need for Speed: Underground 2, the sequel to Need for Speed: Underground
- Tony Hawk's Underground, a video game published by Activision Studios
- Tony Hawk's Underground 2, the sequel to THUG by Activision Studios
- Underground comix, small press or self-published comic books that began to appear in the US in the late 1960s
- Underground culture, a term to describe various alternative cultures
- Underground economy, commerce that is not taxed
- Underground film, cinema outside the commercial mainstream
- Underground hip hop, a style of hip hop music
- Underground living, living below the ground's surface
- Underground music, music that has a certain following despite a moderate commercial success
- Underground press, the alternative print media in the late 1960s and early 1970s
- UK underground, a 1960s countercultural movement in the United Kingdom
- Underground Atlanta, a nightspot in Atlanta, Georgia
- Karst topography, a landscape of distinctive dissolution patterns often marked by underground drainages
- Organized crime, crime carried out systematically by formal criminal organizations
- Underground city, a network of tunnels that connect buildings, usually in the downtown area of a city
- Subterranean (disambiguation)
underground in German: Untergrund
underground in French: Underground
underground in Italian: Underground
underground in Dutch: Ondergrondse
underground in Japanese: アンダーグラウンド
underground in Romanian: Underground
underground in Serbian: Андерграунд
underground in Serbo-Croatian: Underground
Amtrak, Charley, L, Trojan horse, VC, Vietcong, abstruse, agreement to disagree, alienated, alienation, alternative, antiestablishment, apostasy, at odds with, at rest, at variance with, avant-garde, back door, back stairs, back way, back-door, backstairs, baggage train, beclouded, behind the curtain, behind the scenes, behind the veil, blind, bolt-hole, branch, breakaway, buried, bushfighter, bushwhacker, cable railroad, cable railway, casual, choo-choo, clandestine, close, clouded, cog railroad, cog railway, collaborationist, collaborator, concealed, counter-culture, covered, covert, covert way, covertly, crypto, deep-buried, difference, differing, disaccord, disagreeing, disagreement, disapprobation, disapproval, disparity, dissatisfaction, dissension, dissent, dissentience, dissentient, dissenting, dissidence, dissident, diversity, dropping out, eclipsed, el, electric, electric railway, electric train, elevated, elevated railway, embankment, escalier derobe, escape hatch, escape route, experimental, express, express train, extremists, feeder, feeder line, feline, fellow traveler, fifth column, fifth columnist, flier, fraternizer, freight, freight train, freighter, funicular, furtive, goods train, gravity-operated railway, guerillas, guerrilla, hid, hidden, hidlings, hole-and-corner, horse railway, hugger-mugger, in a cloud, in a corner, in a fog, in a whisper, in darkness, in eclipse, in hidlings, in opposition, in purdah, in secret, in the background, in the dark, in the wings, incommunicado, insurgents, insurrectionists, interurban, irregular, junction, latent, light railroad, lightning express, limited, line, local, main line, maquis, maquisard, metro, milk train, minority opinion, monorail, mysterious, nobody the wiser, nonagreement, nonassent, nonconcurrence, nonconforming, nonconformist, nonconformity, nonconsent, obfuscated, obscure, obscured, occult, opposing, opposition, parliamentary, parliamentary train, partisan, passenger train, private, privy, quiet, rack railway, rack-and-pinion railroad, rack-and-pinion railway, radical, rail, rail line, railroad, railroad train, railway, rattler, recondite, recusance, recusancy, recusant, rejection, repudiation, resistance, resistance fighter, resting in peace, revolutionary, roadbed, roadway, rolling stock, saboteur, secession, secluded, secluse, secret, secret exit, secret passage, secret staircase, secretly, sectarian, sectary, security risk, sequestered, shifty, shuttle, shuttle train, side door, sidetrack, siding, skulking, slinking, slinky, sly, sneaking, sneaky, sotto voce, special, stealthy, streamliner, street railway, streetcar line, sub rosa, subterranean, subterraneous, subversive, subversives, subway, sunken, surreptitious, switchback, terminal, terminus, track, train, tram, tramline, trestle, trolley line, trunk, trunk line, tube, turnout, under an eclipse, under cover, under house arrest, under the breath, under the rose, under wraps, under-the-counter, under-the-table, undercover, underfoot, underground fighter, underground railroad, underground route, underhand, underhanded, unknown, unobtrusive, variance, way train, with bated breath, withdrawal, wrapped in clouds